Wednesday 31 October 2012

How to make Hemp Jewelry



I have been making hemp jewelry for a number of years, so I decided to finally make a tutorial on how to make a necklace (or bracelet).

I work on a board with two screws on either side. I use this because I find I can get the knots tighter, and I can work faster. I also have put markings on my board to remind me where to put a bead, where it should end and the half way point of my necklace.

What you will need: 
Hemp
Beads
1 board
2 screws
 


 
First measure out your hemp. For making a necklace I use two and a half arm lengths, from the tip of my right hand finger to my left hand finger, for one string. The second string I measure out a little more than the length of the necklace. 






 The first string you cut find the half way point and make a loop. Add the second sting and line both strings up. Like so.



 Tie the strings together with a knot. Make sure it is not too close to the end of the string, but make sure the loop is not too big.


I put the loop I just made around the top screw on my board.  I take the two hemp strings which are I measured out to the size of my necklace and keep them separated from the longer strings I will be using to braid. 



 Separate the strings into outside strings and inside strings. Depending on the beads you are using, I bead them onto the inside strings before I begin braiding. Tie the inside strings down so they are very tight and hard to move.

 Take the left side string and cross OVER TOP the middle strings.



 Next you want to take the left string and bring it over top the string you just crossed.

 Bring the right string under the center strings and through the hoop made by the left string. Like so.

 When you pull the strings together it should look like this. Pull hard to make the braid tight together.


 Now do the same steps but to the other side. Braiding both sides back and forth will make the hemp go into a flat design braid. If you braid only on one side it will turn into a spiral.



 When you want to add a bead, just move the bead up and into the next braid.

This is an example of the flat design and the spiral. Hope this tutorial works for you. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy. Enjoy making bracelets and necklaces!

For completed Jewellery for sale and artwork... JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK!

   http://www.facebook.com/cstrapp

No comments:

Post a Comment