Saturday 20 October 2012

Marshmallow Fondant

When I first started decorating cakes, people told me how much they love the look of cakes with fondant but they hate the taste! I started making marshmallow fondant which turns out amazing every time! It might not be as durable as regular fondant but it tastes amazing. This is a must try ..

Ingredients: 


- One Bag of Marshmallows
- One bag of Icing sugar
- Tender flake shortening
- 2 Tbsp of Water
- Food coloring

You will also need a spatula, a microwavable bowl, and some plastic gloves.

  First wash your counter. Than grease the counter really well with the shortening. You want to have a thick layer of shortening and a large area covered. Otherwise your marshmallow will stick to the counter.


 Than pour half of the icing sugar onto the greased counter.


Pat the icing sugar into a large circle. This is going to be what you are going to pour the melted marshmallows onto.




 Grease the microwave able bowl and spatula really well. Than pour in the Marshmallows.


 Pour the 2 Tbsp of water on to the marshmallows and lightly stir. Next you want to microwave the marshmallows for 30 seconds. Stir the marshmallows and microwave them again for 30 seconds. Continue these steps until there is no clumps of Marshmallows.




  It took me three times putting my marshmallows into the microwave until I got this smooth liquid marshmallow. Than pour the marshmallow mixture onto your circle of icing sugar.



 Rube shortening all over your hands. Make sure you get between fingers and even the back of your hands. Otherwise the marshmallows with just stick to you and not the icing.


 Begin mixing the marshmallows into the icing making sure you stay on the greased surface. Don't forget to keep the icing sugar close by at all times. You will need to add lots more but in the end you should have a cup left. 






 Keep mixing the Marshmallows until the mixture can be kneaded. Than your fondant is finished. Your marshmallow fondant can be stored up to three days in a tightly sealed container. Do not refrigerate. The next couple steps is adding color and my finished product.

 Cut a portion of the kneaded fondant that you want to color. Wearing gloves put a couple drops onto the gloves and rube hands together. Than begin kneading the color into the fondant. Keep putting drops onto your gloves and kneading it in until you reach the color of fondant you want.



 I rolled out my fondant and made pink circles to put on my cake. 

While I was rolling out my fondant and making different shapes, I baked two circle cakes and iced them. (The icing on the cake will act as glue keeping the fondant on the cake.) After they were iced I put the cake into the fridge. I rolled out blue fondant to cover the whole cake. I also made green stripes and pink circles to decorate. When attaching the fondant together use a little bit of water. Water will act as glue when you are attaching fondant to fondant.




Hope you liked my tutorial! If you have any interesting ideas on different designs for cakes I would love to hear them!



No comments:

Post a Comment